Hello, awesome readers!
It’s Father’s Day here in Australia, so I figured I would mark the occasion with another segment of Why I Love That Bad Guy, featuring that legendary villainous father, Darth Vader.
May all the dads, grandpas, uncles, godfathers, single-mums, and diabolical Sith Lords out there have a lovely day!
Name: Darth Vader (born Anakin Skywalker)
Origin: Star Wars saga
History: Once a promising young Jedi and the brilliant student of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker was swayed to the dark side and became the ruthless overlord known as Darth Vader. His sole purpose was to overthrow the Galactic Empire, but he was continuously thwarted by the efforts of the Rebel Alliance and, particularly, by a young Jedi-in-training, Luke. In one of the greatest twists in film history, Darth discovers the young man is his own son (oh nooo, I ruined it!) and entreats him to join the dark side so that they might “rule the galaxy as father and son”. However, Luke remains loyal to the light side, and Darth ultimately sacrifices himself to save his son, revealing a shred of goodness in his dying moments.
- Whether he’s casually choking someone without touching them, or just breathing really noisily, Darth maintains an air of superiority, always.
- I’m a huge fan of complex male relationships, whether it’s brother-brother or father-son; and Darth’s possessive determination to seduce Luke to the dark side is just wonderfully evil. (Also, I regret using the words “father-son” and “seduce” in the same dot-point.)
- Three words — Best. Soundtrack. EVER.
- He is mysterious and deadly, willing to blow up entire home-worlds without blinking an eye.
- He’s as memorable as a dead Bruce Willis or a planet full of apes — Darth Vader is movie history.
I Would Love Him More If…
- …he’d invented a better respiratory system for himself.
- …we’d seen some more interaction between Darth and Leia, after he realised she was his daughter. There was such potential for some powerful and, well, quite frankly awkward scenes here. (I mean, what do you say to a woman once you’ve realised she’s your daughter? “Sorry I blew up your planet?”)
- …he’d murdered Jar Jar Binks. Slowly. Brutally. In every way he knows he fears.
“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”
Darth: “Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.”
Luke: “He told me enough! He told me you killed him!”
Darth: “No… I am your father!”
[Come on! That quote had to be here!]
Interesting Fact About Darth Vader:
Well. Apparently he likes to boogie. If that’s not “interesting”, I don’t know what is.
- Love The Bad Guy